Sunday, March 6, 2011

GPS

A few nights ago I got very lost trying to find my niece's school. I had the address, and had printed directions. I left in plenty of time to get there early for her school performance. I had been told that she was very excited that I was coming. It was a rainy, dark night as I ventured out hoping I wouldn't get lost on the way. It is common for me. I usually get to point B from point A, but I often go to point C along the way. :) Traffic moved to a slow crawl as I watched the minutes tick away on the clock, while also watching closely for the correct exit. I was happy when I came to my exit. I followed the directions. But, there was not a school to be found. I called my brother, feeling frustrated. I could hear the performance beginning in the background. I was missing it. I had hope that I could still get there in time. I hung up the phone and went back the way I came. Frustration mounted with tears ready to roll, when I wound around roads, looking for the school, but not finding it. And, then I ended up on another freeway that I didn't mean to be on. For a few minutes, some fear crept in, for I really didn't know exactly where I was. Friends names came to mind of who I could call. They would help me, they would know where I was. Then I saw big, tall buildings, and begin to realize I was headed downtown. Tears were really ready to roll. "How on earth did I get here," I wondered. I got turned around to leave the downtown area, for I did know my way home from there. I saw a sign pointing home, or I could stay on the road that got me to downtown with the hope of still finding the school. I was tempted to give in, but not wanting to disappoint my niece, I kept trying. I had also said a  prayer asking God what I should do. I had peace about continuing to try.  I followed the road back to where I had come from. Minutes later I saw a Safeway. My brother had mentioned this as a landmark. I turned, and quickly found the school. I made it! I was grateful to God for helping me. I hurried in to hear the final comments from the principal. I had missed it. A teacher then announced that the students would be coming through the doorway I was standing in. I waited expectantly hoping I could see my niece as she walked by. I saw her, and called her name. "Auntie!!" she yelled in total joy. That made it worth it! Getting lost, ending up downtown, feeling so frustrated... To bring joy by just showing up was worth it all. Plus, I hadn't missed everything! The students were then pretend wax museum figures, giving speeches about a person they had studied. So, I got to see her in character giving her speech many times. :) As I reflected later on the events of the night, thinking how a GPS would have been helpful, I was happy to know that God is my life GPS.  He guides and directs me, helping pave the way and make decisions. When I make mistakes, he so kindly forgives me, and helps me get back on His path.

No comments:

Post a Comment