Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Waiting. :)

Waiting calmly, patiently, and finding joy in those moments along the way has always been a wonderful lesson that I bring back with me from Rwanda.

Waiting at a restaurant for dinner. It is usually a
several hour event. :) Settle in and enjoy!

Somehow, along the way, after being home awhile, I "loose" that skill.  My hope is that I am able to keep it with me this time.  I did find myself getting frustrated on the inside several weeks ago because it was taking a long time to get coffee. Thankfully, I quickly realized it, and thought, "remember, you weren't going back to this! You can wait. Think African Time."  

As I have shared before, in Rwanda, relationships are more important than the clock.  There is such beauty in the value of relationships. :)  Often in Rwanda, there is lots of waiting.  It is very wise to get very good at waiting.  Waiting for a vehicle, waiting for someone to meet you, waiting for a cab, waiting for a meal, waiting for others to join you, waiting for coffee, waiting for Fanta, waiting for the proper forms to be filled out, waiting for the right price of an item, waiting.  I have found that along the way of waiting great conversations take place. I've gotten to know someone in a way that I wouldn't have. I've met someone that I would not have. I was able to bring a smile to someone's day. Kindness was extended to me in a way that would not have happened if I wasn't waiting.  

I want to continue to be very good and even better at waiting. After a month of waiting in Rwanda, I find myself content to wait in the gas line. I'm okay to wait in the coffee line. Waiting in the doctor's office is great. I am blessed to get to go to the doctor when I need to. Waiting longer as the doctor meets with other patients, and comes back to me. No worries. Waiting at the pharmacy. No problem. I can do that too.  Waiting in traffic. I can do that. I've seen a chicken truck waiting this past week! I wanted traffic to stay stopped, so I could get a photo. :) A big truck of live chickens! I thanked God for chickens that provide jobs, and food.  I've also seen a big truck of boulders, and a huge truck of hay. I wanted to be able to get more photos. :) 

Waiting, looking for the gifts along the way in the day while waiting, I want to keep the gift that I learned in Rwanda.  I can wait.  It's okay. I have much to be thankful for.  I can spread joy while waiting.  Even a smile, and patiently waiting can bring joy to another person's day.  It opens up conversations too, for people are surprised to see another waiting patiently and with joy. :)

Happy waiting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment