 |
As we headed back to Kigali from Kageo, I saw Jovanus
on the side of the road. He had surgery last year in
Uganda. When he returned to Rwanda, he and his mom
stayed at the guest house for awhile for him to do
physical therapy. I was so happy to see him again.
He remembered me.
|
Greetings from Rwanda, Africa!!! The Internet has been a bit challenging, so I haven't posted as often as I had planned. I hope to be able to post more during my remaining time in Rwanda.
THANK YOU to all who are praying for me, the teams, Africa New Life, and for my health. I am doing well in the health department! Thank you God! Thank you for continuing to pray!
On Monday, I learned from Simon how to post child sponsorship videos. Teams are invited to do a short video introducing a child that needs a sponsor. During the past month, many have been sponsored through friends of those that are here in Rwanda. I also learned from Cat about the growth charts for every child that she has been doing. Cat and Simon returned to the UK for some time at home for 8 weeks. During the rest of the day, I enjoyed being able to rest at the guest house. It was great to get some rest to get ready for the Oklahoma team that arrived on Tuesday.
 |
| Flowers at a mass grave at the Kigali Genocide Memorial |
On Tuesday, I went to the Dream Center property with Alan. He had a meeting, and I was able to see some ANLM staff members. Then, we went to the airport to greet the Oklahoma team. On the way, the President came flying by in his car. It was very interesting. There was a car with sirens that came racing down the road. All our Rwandan friends said calmly, "the President is coming." All cars or vehicles went to the side of the road. All foot traffic stopped. Then another car came racing by with a person holding a stop sign out the window. Next, several official cars came racing by. A police car ended the line of cars. It was wonderful to get to meet and greet the Oklahoma team at the airport. Once they were at the guest house, the goal was to keep them all awake until evening. We all went to the Kigali Genocide Memorial. I walked along through it with them, but didn't read too many of the boards or displays. It was too hard. I'd read it before. I did not go into the "children's room." It shows faces of children, and tells their stories. I just couldn't go in there again. The prime minister of Turkey was also there. I loved seeing children walking home from school as we were outside the memorial. That is the future for Rwanda. It was a somber ride back to the guest house for dinner.
 |
| Smiles that melt my heart! |
On Wednesday, we spent the day at the Dream Center Property in Kigali. (the city) It was a national holiday celebrating 18 years of liberation from the genocide. The team spent the morning with the Dream boys. These boys used to live on the streets. They are now in school, getting a meal each day, and being tutored. The team spent time playing with them, and loving them with hugs, smiles, and laughter. I went with Moses (who translates for the Dream boys) to ask Mama Fees (the cook) how we could be helpful for her. I learned that her shoulder was injured and causing her much pain. I knew in my heart that I was to give her my small bottle of Ibuprofen that was in my backpack. I also prayed for her. Another team member had some cream that she put on her shoulder to help it feel better. The team taught a lesson with the Lord's prayer. I smiled big when they were asked who recognized me from last year. Many hands went up. One boy even came up to me and said, "Pamela!" He remembered me. It was precious. I wished I could have done more for Mama Fees. I also wished I could fix a situation for a little guy who had a bad headache. He is HIV positive and was in great pain. He is receiving medicine, and the staff watches him closely.
 |
We learned how to organize the books on the shelves
|
The team also joined a team from Multnomah University who were organizing a library with many, many books for the Bible College on the Dream Center property. Dr. G from Multnomah taught us how to put the books in order. We were able to help another day for a little while as well. The Multnomah team really appreciated out help.
On Thursday, we went to Bugeseras, the new school that Africa New Life opened in Jan. The team taught a lesson on prayer, and helped feed the students. The students big smiles are so very precious. I was able to talk to a few teachers. They could really use a copy machine. Teachers write everything on the blackboards and students copy the information in a book similar to a composition book. They could also use books for students to read. For many students, the meal they receive at school is their only meal for the day. A team member decided to sponsor a student who had already been registered and was waiting for a sponsor. This was a huge highlight of the day, for I know the difference sponsorship makes for a student.
 |
| We were able to deliver food to this precious family |
The team divided into 3 groups to deliver food to some very needy families. My heart was broken for the family I visited. The mom has a 7 year old, and twin 3 year old boys. She does not have an income. The seven year old attends Africa New Life's school at Bugeseras. The neighbors came to join us for the visit. Most all the adults were barefoot-they did not have shoes. The mom was so grateful for the food we delivered. I wanted to fix the situation, but I could not. For that day, we were bringing food, and we prayed for the mom, and her family. We also prayed for a neighbor who has lots of pain in her eyes. The emotions were from one extreme to another. Hope for the new school, even though there is still such need there. Hope for the child who was sponsored. Heart broken for the great need of this family and many others like them. At the same time, I was grateful we were able to bring them food that would last for awhile.
 |
Neighborhood kids in Bugeseras
|
No comments:
Post a Comment