 |
| Carl's book |
Today, I had the privilege of getting to know amazing people at the guest house. There are guests at the guest house that are here in Rwanda working with different organizations. A team from Children's Hunger Fund is here. It was fun to chat with the team, and hear about what they are doing here. I got to talk with Carl Wilkins, and a team of teachers he is here with. He is the only American that remained in Rwanda during the genocide. He has just finished a book, which is available through Shoes without Borders. I've already read at least half of it. Incredible story!!! It can be purchased online at:
worldoutsidemyshoes.org
 |
| Jovanus with markers, and notepad |
I had some markers, and a notebook that I gave to Jovanus. He enjoyed writing his numbers, letters, and showing it to me. He handed a pen to me and wanted me to write. I wrote, "Jovanus, mama, mom, Pam." I then read them to him while pointing to the word. He copied the words under where I had written them. It is a joy to get to spend time with Jovanus! A team of pastors was here for the night. They were headed out to another area in Rwanda this afternoon. With each group, it is an honor to get to answer questions they may have. Questions like, "is it okay to use any of the restrooms here, which bug repellent do you prefer, how old is Jovanus..." It has been great to get to share with guests about Africa New Life Ministries too. I have also been able to get to know the staff at the guest house better.
 |
| Jovanus with markers, and notepad |
I have been reminded today how often in American culture we get so busy and distracted that we don't take the time to be with people, and build relationships. In general we are so driven by the clock. Here, the culture is much more relationship based. Relationships are more important than the time on the clock.
Also, waiting with patience is very common.
I giggled to myself when I found myself saying with closed lips, "mmm" while listening to someone talk. The giggle was that I didn't even realize I was doing it, until I did it. :) In Rwanda that is a sign that you are listening to whom is speaking. Raising your eyes upward, and saying "mmm" is seen daily many times as a sign that you are listening to the person who is talking. :)
It has been wonderful to "just be" today. Soaking in Rwanda, getting to know guests, and Africa New Life staff.
Awesome, Pam! I feel like I am back on the couch at the house myself :) I have vivid memories of the stream of people that come through that guest house and how they represent the stream of God's love being poured into Rwanda. Let the river flow :)
ReplyDeleteYay! Glad you feel like you are back on the couch here! :) Amen Amen! Let the river of God's love flow! Many blessings to you!
ReplyDelete